In 1862, Eugene O’Keefe purchased the old Victoria Brewery on Gould Street in Toronto and immediately set out updating the brewery. Prior to the renovations, the brewery could turn out no more than 2 000 gallons a week. By 1867, the new Victoria brewery was churning out 7 000 gallons per week and was capable of storing up to 60 000 gallons in their vast underground vaults. Additionally, the two onsite malt houses could produce some 35 000 bushels of malt a season. To ensure a quality product, O’Keefe imported coal for his malt kilns from Wales, as it was claimed that it burnt much cleaner than other coals. Though locally grown hops were also used, it was a point of pride for O’Keefe that he purchased and imported hops from England to flavour his ale.
Check out Eugene O’Keefe’s bibliography here